Here we go.

09 September 2011

Dinner

Night before last, I made stuffed poblano peppers and the chile corn custard that KMHD brought to Tofu Happening .  I totally destroyed the kitchen doing it, but it was well worth it.  Custard recipe linked above, here's how I made the peppers:

Needs:  

2 c rice
1 c black beans
1 c corn
1 med onion (chopped)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
6 poblano peppers
1 c shredded cheese (I did a mix of white cheddar and Monterey, but it's a personal choice)
1 t chili powder
1 T cumin
S & P
lime
cilantro
oil

Make rice in advance.  Like the day before or in the morning to be ready by evening.  Roast your peppers on the stove, blackening all sides.  It takes a few mins. per side, so you can do some prep work.  After blackening, put peppers in a paper bag to cool.   Preheat oven to 350.

Photobucket
In the meantime, saute onions in oil, adding garlic towards the end there to avoid burning/bitter.  Add the chili powder & cumin, mix well.  Stir in black beans and corn.  Add rice, lime juice to taste (a lot is good!), salt, cilantro -- M.I.X.  Make any season adjustments.  Filling is done.

Remove peppers from paper bag and rub off as much black as possible.  Whatever I can't get, I rinse away.  Cut the tops off, make one slit, and either use the knife to scrape away the seeds and membranes or rinse away with water.  Paper towel dry.  Laid flat, spoon heaping spoonfuls of filling on to pepper.  Sprinkle cheese.  You can either toothpick them closed or roll the pepper.  Top with more cheese.  Bake in oven until cheese melts.

Mine came undone, but here it is, plated w/ the custard:
 Photobucket

Chile corn custard:
Photobucket


2 comments:

nicole said...

YUM! Kim and I were *just* talking about your mad skills in the kitchen. And then you go and do THIS. You are too good. I need that corn custard in my life. xo.

kmhd said...

Make for Brim, please!

Literal hours ago we were talking about this. Make it, Nicole! Make it! xo

Blog Archive